RE: Re: Volsaxi clan names?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:21:39 +0100

> > Er, wasn't it about now that we had Arrows being sent out, and
> lots of
> > people coming to WW as a result? Or so I thought?
>
> I'm sure that there were a lot of folk showing up in early 1620,
> while the Lunars were still disorganized and reeling from the Bat's
> demise.

And since that's the period I'm asking about, fine. People arriving then, people already there by then. Tatius has just arrived and taken over command, Pharon has just become active. There are supplies coming in, with gradually increasing Lunar interference. Where from?

> By Darkness Season 1620, I suspect that has become a lot
> harder.

Well, yes...

> Also, everything written on WW is going to be subject to change.

Everything?

> For example, Greg has made it very clear to me that much of the
> description of the Larnste Brotherhood in G:IttHW was just plain
> wrong. And we're beginning to figure out a lot more about the
> history of the Volsaxi and the Hendreiki, which plays into WW.

Plays into, yes, but how much direct effect will it have? A lot of the questions like "where do the supplies come from" and "what clans are there?" never got decided anyway AFAIK, hence my questions.

> > > Maybe Broyan and his chosen warriors
> > > survive on divine splendorbread and widebrew.:)
> > Broyan and his chosen warriors may well do, but I believe I was
> being told
> > WW had a population of about 4,000 people. They'll need something
> a bit more basic.
>
> You sure about that?

Unless you can manufacture splendorbread and widebrew for 4000 people, yes. By the time we're down to the last few dozen, in those last few weeks, I'll believe it, but not in early 1620!

> > No wonder we get the impression of it being defended mainly by
> Sartarites,
> > then. It's not just the bias of far more having been written about
> Sartar,
> > is it?
>
> Not completely - although there were many Volsaxi heroes at WW as
> well.

And we need to know more about them. They're more likely to have been there in the early days, I would imagine. Before people started sending out messengers with Arrows, and so on.

> The Volsaxi and the Sartarites have had a very close
> relationship for several generations (since the 1570s at least) - so
> close that there were Volsaxi warbands that followed High King
> Tarkalor at the Battle of Grizzley Peak.

And there was raiding between Volsaxi and Sartar in the 1613-1619 "gap" - mind you, no doubt Sartarite clans were raiding each other, and Volsaxi clans were raiding each other, so this doesn't mean a lot.

> Broyan might be
> probably the first powerful High King at Whitewall since Hardrard
> the Green.

I think we'd been assuming this?