Re: Re: Sylangi

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 13:50:47 +0100 (CET)

Rob
>> I'm a bit curious about the nature of that grant. Is this a case
>> similar to Baron Sanuel (whose grant was given by the Lunars)?
>> Normally, Broyan's position as a Vingkotling king wouldn't enable
>> him to grant feudal land.

> I have learned since running my game at WW that Broyan is indeed a
> Vingkotling King and what that actually means. I have also learnt
> more about what being a Larnsti actually means.

I wish I could say that...

> The thing is when I ran my game I had this idea that Heortland
> was like westernised Theyalans, going from my RQ3 stuff,
> specifically the Genertela Book p.49.

I know that (kind of) setting, it's what I produced in the RQ era.

> Whether or not this is now canon I don't know but I have
> actually presented it like this. Obviously with the advent of
> Heroquest we have discovered the Esvulari which I was unfamiliar
> with. Thats not such a problem because we, being at Whitewall, were
> more concerned with the Whitewall Confederation of 4 tribes,
> including the Sylangi.

> Another mistake that I had made that I am sort of bound to as we
> have played it this way is what High King means to Broyan and the
> tribes of the Whitewall Confederation. Coming from Pendragon I was
> taking the feudal route, which I know is wrong, but it did provide a
> degree of colour and juxtaposition compared to the rustic barbarian
> lifestyle we had played 'oop north'.

> Now, the Sylangi are 'The Great Traitors' and Broyan has this highly
> effective, small group of heroes that he can toss at the Sylangi,
> and what better way than by making the leader of the group a Baron
> of the Sylangi Kings lands!!! If someone has detailed the Sylangi
> and personalities then I'd probably drop that straight into my game.

IMO Broyan helped the pro-Lunar faction within the Sylangi (and Bacofi) with their "coup" by taking most of the anti-Lunars with him into Whitewall.

>> Most Sylangi were not supporting Broyan, so this grant may have >> been pique at their backstabbing.

> Spot on. Thats how I see it. The character has Larnsti ancestry that
> he is as yet unaware of, so it may be possible for him to become
> King of Heortland after Broyan. Are there any references to what
> happens after Broyan is killed and post Dragonrise?

The only good info we have is about Harrek's activities in Kethaela, Garrath Sharpsword, the Wolf Pirate, meeting him for a champion's battle and getting a draw (rather than the mere "survived opposing Harrek" he achieved on the Cradle). From his inclusion in the Sartar Free Army in the Dragon Pass boardgame, Baron Sanuel remains in the region. Since Broyan doesn't seem to reclaim Volsaxar, I guess Sanuel's hold on Smithstone remains. Maybe Broyan makes him swear allegiance to the High King of the Hendriki (Broyan) and casts Sanuel as his loyal thane (while Sanuel still takes money from the Lunars to keep the road to Karse free).

Broyan leaves Heortland in 1623 or earlier, and returns only for the Battle of Milran in 1624, probably going to Durengard rather than Volsaxar.

Broyan is not involved in the Dragonrise, but rushes north when news of it and the battle of Dangerford reach Heortland. He gets ambushed by the Kitori and disappears from recorded history. Since the Kitori don't have much of a military force, I doubt that Broyan lost an army, too - more likely he was heading to a muster site when ambushed.

And it is quite possible that Sanuel actually went to Sartar with his forces, finding the Lunars gone, and offering himself as an ally. He might even have received a special dispatch from Fazzur (who just lost part of an unexpected Tarshite Dart Competition and prepared to hit back) to play along.

My personal interests lie in Karse and Refuge. In Refuge, I see a Tarshite Prince (Orontes of Tarsh War fame) left in charge and having to deal with the Hero Wars, cut off from his family ties. In Karse, I see the resident Lunars integrated into the city as the rulers join efforts spread over Kethaela to re-unify the Holy Country. IMG most Lunars left over in Heortland will gravitate to these two cities remaining just out of reach of the Heortling restitution.

I'm rather more interested how "Orlanth is Dead" plays out in Heortland and Esrolia.

The Esvulari probably thrive - much of their lands could be just outside of the planned Glowline from Tatius' temple, and even where not their magics don't suffer (much).

In Esrolia, Asrelia will be called upon to feed the population through the winter. There will be only one harvest that year, no grain for trading, except where the Warm Earth dominates.

Rhigos probably will get stinking rich from feeding northern Kethaela across the Mirrorsea Bay.

The Lunars in the affected region might have received warning about a drastic change in food resources and weather, and might have stockpiled against that need. Then, Lunar intrigues being what they are, Tarshite Lunars might be as surprised as the natives, but unlike the natives, the Tarshites have access to rich supply from their homeland.

The Grazers probably get fed from Tarshite supplies, too - unlike their Vendref. Most likely in exchange for their mercenary services in Esrolia. And I wouldn't be astonished if the Grazers replenished their Vendref losses with thralls taken in Esrolia.

The Sun Domers must rely on Lunar supplies, too, just like Sanuel. In either case, this may have caused some critical reassessment of their employers.

In Heortland, the winter will be acerbated by the Scorpionfolk expansion. The Westerner lords and the Lunar occupation forces may prove their worth if they manage to defend their fiefs. The cities may be provisioned by ship - unlike the Greater Darkness, Choralinthor does not go into hiding, and will hardly freeze over either with the tidal action going on and sea currents still working. Fishing may be unpleasant in the bay, maybe more hazardous, but not greatly diminished in its yields. Out on the sea, business as usual.

One important difference in naval activities will be the absence of wind. Fortunately, the Kethaelans have a tradition of oared warships, so there will be oared vessels, or sailing vessels towed by oared ones.

The Wolf Pirates that did not sail with Harrek will notice the change in magic, too. IMO some will raid the helpless, other will go for more pleasant places to raid in Slontos.

I have less ideas what happens in the Whitewall region. The Sun Domers might have managed to hide their role at Iceland from Tatius, or justify it. Sanuel had no part in it. Broyan spreads the Thaw/New Breathing into Hendrikiland while Kallyr brings it to Sartar.