Tentacles X: An Epic in the Making

From: Fabian Kuechler <fabian_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 02:17:33 +0200

TENTACLES NEWS POST
Volume 7, Number 2, March 2006

~~ S l u r p F o l k s ! ~~

Welcome to the March Tentacles News Post, featuring all the latest Tentacles news and views. Feel free to forward this newsletter to friends, allies and sworn enemies. If you do not want to receive this newsletter, or have a new email address please send notification to: fabian_at_...

~ A N E P I C I N T H E M A K I N G ~

Tentacles seems to get more and more popular. Last time I checked, Tentacles was the 5th entry in Google for the word 'Tentacles'. Well, we certainly have another epic in the making. Listen to this!

The Three Great Old Ones, Greg Stafford, Sandy Petersen and Charlie Krank, will jump out of our Birthday cake and spearhead our Immortal Heroband of guests.

We are also hosting 4 hot new FreeForms! Check out the news about 'Griffin Mountain', 'Space Station Zanzibar 2: Conjunction of the Bazillion Spheres', 'Machts gut und Danke fuer die Bananen' and 'Unification Day' on our website.

So far over 110 people have signed up for Tentacles X after our initial Tentacles Newsletter in January without any further prompting. In the future I will cut down my efforts in writing voluminous newsletters with repeated information to wear you down. You all seem to be certainly getting the message.

 From now on this newsletter will be shorter, snappier and contain only real news. I will spend more time updating our site with our lovely webgurus Judy Routt and Paul Holt instead. Detailed informations about guests, games and programme is now hosted on our website:

http://www.tentacles-convention.de

Check it out!

Fabian (off to print more refreshing Beercards(TM))

P.S.: We had some problems with our registration server which are fixed now. We have a new one, it is hosted at www.templestowe.org (www.pcholt.com has expired).

~ T e n t a c l e s X ~

Germany is still hosting the FIFA World Championship 2006; Dreieichenhain, the secret and legendary Headquarter of Tentacles, will still celebrate its 750th birthday; and the stars are still right for Tentacles X!

TENTACLES X
The HeroQuest, Cthulhu, Eternal Champion, Pendragon and RuneQuest Game Fest
2nd - 5th June 2006
Castle Stahleck, Bacharach, Germany

Yes, this year we will celebrate the unbelievable 10th Tentacles Anniversary! Tentacles officially started in 1997 with 'Tentacles over Bacharach'. This makes Tentacles X in 2006 our 10th year of Tentacles.

So you'd better be there for our big birthday party, especially if you have been to Tentacles before. Do not forget to bring a small GIFT for the Convention and/or buy a drink for the team! Donations are also welcome...

~ S i g n - u p ~

Book now and schedule your trip accordingly – the Soccer World Championship is starting right after Tentacles X, and the prices for flights to Germany will go through the roof. See our travel advice below.

Sign-up here:
http://www.tentacles-convention.de/regis.htm

The convention is limited to 160 residential places.

The price for residential attendees is 95 Euro and includes bed, breakfast and dinner.

Residential places are available at this price until March 31st 2006. After this date we will charge an additional 10 Euro as a late fee.

Non-residential attendees pay 26 Euro for the whole event.

To confirm your attendance you will need to pay the convention fee in advance. Payment will be accepted by credit card, or5 bank transfer.

If a confirmed attendee cannot make it to the convention and his/her place can't otherwise be filled, we have to keep 60 Euro of the convention fee.

Detailed information concerning payment procedure will be mailed to you after your registration.

~ T e n t a c l e s F r e s h B l o o d P r o g r a m m e ~

If you are under 21 years of age, we invite you to come and join our community! We have 10 residential places set aside for young newcomers, at the special discounted price of 70 Euro (that's 25 Euro less than usual). To secure your place, just write an email with the subject 'Tentacles Fresh Blood' to:
fabian_at_...

All persons attending Tentacles must be aged 18 or older OR be accompanied by a legal custodian or a person appointed by his/her parents for supervision.

~ T r a v e l l i n g H i n t s ~

If you would like to fly in from Great Britain check out the airline Ryan Air:
http://www.ryanair.com

They are reasonably priced, and fly to Frankfurt Hahn airport which is only 50km from Bacharach and Castle Stahleck.

We recommend you take the following Ryan Air flights as they meet up with the Tentacles Shuttle Bus which will take you straight to Castle Stahleck (it is only around 10 EUR and much cheaper then a taxi):

Arrive with Ryan Air 756 (Friday 2nd June) and depart with Ryan Air 761 (Monday 5th June).

If you fly in to Frankfurt/Main Airport, access to Bacharach is easy by the excellent German trains. There are very regular connections from the airport to Bacharach, and they won't break the bank.

Check out:
http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/query.exe/en/

to plan your trip by train. It takes no more than 1 1/2 hours and costs around 15 EU to get to Bacharach from Frankfurt Airport.

~ A r r i v i n g o n T h u r e s d a y ~

It has become more and more common for some of our guests to arrive a day earlier at Castle Stahleck for Tentacles. It is not always easy to get room at the Castle on that day. We have block-booked a small contingent of beds for this reason. If you plan to arrive a day earlier you might want to let us know:

fabian_at_...

~ S p e c i a l T e n t a c l e s B i r t h d a y B B Q ~

'Mist in the evening.
Chunks of barbecuing flesh.
Get another beer.'

In Sanity,
Charlie

We will start off Friday evening with a special event. Charlie Krank, President of Chaosium Inc. and renowned BBQ Expert, will fire up the grill for his Special Tentacles Birthday BBQ in the Courtyard.

Dead meat will be put to the fire in massive quantities accompanied by a smattering of salad, bread and rolls. If you want to bring your special dish for this party you are heartily invited (I am thinking of our French guests specifically). We plan to provide a separate fire for your tofu sausages as well.

The event comes with an additional fee of 10,- EUR and will replace the Friday dinner at the castle kitchen. It will be worth it.

All those who choose not to eat at the BBQ will of course be treated to the normal food of the Youth Hostel.

If you signed-up but did not choose the BBQ option you can still change your mind until April 30th by sending an email with the subject 'Tentacles X BBQ' to:

fabian_at_...

~ T e n t a c l e s G a m e m a s t e r s P r o g r a m m e ~

In order to befriend, bribe and addict you we have set up the 'Tentacles Gamemasters Programme'.

Along with our sponsors, the best games publishers in the multiverse, we want to make sure you have the time of your life.

All Narrators, Keepers, Refeeres and Gamemasters who send in the

description of their games for HeroQuest, Call of Cthulhu,
Stormbringer, Corum, Hawkmoon, Pendragon, RuneQuest or any other game
related to the gaming worlds of Chaosium, Inc. and Issaries, Inc.
until the 30th April 2006 will participate.

You will receive 1 free drink (per game), 1 bag of chips, 1 free ticket in a chosen 'Horror Lottery Game' by our Tentacles of Honour (watch the website for news on this), and deafening applause at the Closing Ceremony that will bring proud tears to your eyes and a valuable game product /supplement into your hands.

Your description must contain the following information:

Title of Game
Author/Gamemaster
Short Description
Data: System, Number of Players, Expected Duration

Of, course you can host your game at Tentacles spontaneously instead but you will not get the same benefits.

~ O u r p r o u d S p o n s o r s ~

Here are the proud sponsors of Tentacles who generously provide games and books as prizes for our GMs and for the auction. Check out their websites and games.

Chaosium, Inc.
http://www.chaosium.com/

Pegasus Spiele GmbH.
http://www.pegasus.de/

Issaries, Inc.
http://www.glorantha.com/

Moon Design Publications
http://www.glorantha.info/shop/shop.html

White Wolf
http://www.white-wolf.com/arthaus/index.php

Darcsyde Productions
http://www.darcsyde.org/

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/

~ H o t S p o t C a s t l e S t a h l e c k ~

Hurray! From now on you will be able to access the online Wonderful World of Wonders from Castle Stahleck. Thanks to their Wireles Hot Spot you Lapi (Mobile Computers) owners will be able to go online, and get as well as send email, almost everywhere in the courtyard and most seminar rooms. Rumor has it that it will also be usable in some of the rooms facing the courtyard. It is an improvement even though it will not be cheap to use. Now we only need to relocate the OLAK (Only Local Area Kebabshop)...

~ T e n t a c l e s S p o n s o r of M y t h o s F o o t b a l l
L e a g u e ~

'Welcome to the Mythos Football League.

 From all corners of the globe, from the depths of the dark oceans to lands untouched by the Sun, from lofty mountains and haunted woods to deep chasms or burning sands, teams gather amidst the chaos. One of these mighty teams will rise above the rest and proclaim themselves Champions, to wear upon their brows the prized Crown of Domination.'

Tentacles is now proud official sponsor of the Mythos Football League! Our sponsored team is the Ponape Headhunters of the Surface Divison. Go Headhunters go!

Visit this link:

http://www.chaosium.com/index.php?section_id=38

Fabian

--

~ TENTACLES X ~
The HeroQuest, Cthulhu, Eternal Champion, Pendragon and RuneQuest Game Fest 2nd - 5th June 2006 Castle Stahleck, Bacharach, Germany Register here: http://www.tentacles-convention.de/regis.htm *Celebrating 10 Years of Tentacles*