Re: re: Lunars in Orlanthi HQs

From: Denethor Hurin <sinherit_at_...>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 15:37:59 -0700 (PDT)

> --- Denethor Hurin <sinherit_at_...> wrote:
>
> > "...is about as complete as it's
> > ever going to get, and may as well be sent before I
> > erase it. ^_^;"
>
> And I'm very glad you did, it's lovely!

Thanks! ^_^

> > the use of ancestral ties to become a
> > "necessary person"
> > might be a fairly standard Lunar technique of
> > coopting or exerting
> > influence over somebody else's HQ.
>
> er...but most Lunars *aren't* related to the Orlanthi,
> not even distantly.

The key word here is "most". Orlralphie the Heortling dhimmi has a lot to prove now that he's converted to the 7 Mothers and is eager to please so he may as well be used. If he blows it for himself no great loss since there's always more where he came from. For that matter you can probably lay hold of 7th generation Lunars in Holay, Tarsh and Aggar who would have no trouble finding a few Orlanthi in their family trees and given the way Orlanthi have moved about over 6,000 years a few of those could well find connections to even the purest of Sartar/Volsaxi bloodlines. (Side comment: Given that Holay connection to Vinga we may also safely assume that any cult secret that was ever particular to Vingans was compromised and blown to shreds a *long* time ago. Even worse than was the case with regular Orlanthi since the Holay Queendom seems to be the Vingan equivalent of the Vatican. Vingans who want to heroquest without having to deal with Lunars would probably need to use the mainstream Orlanthi myth or lean heavily on the hope that the local myths aren't comromised. That might explain why Morganeth was messing around with Yelorna when there was a perfectly good war goddess closer to home).

> > Rereading this there's one scenario seed that occurs
> > to me along the
> > lines of the old "Big fleas have little fleas" poem:
> > Nothing like having your own
> > claim-jumping hijacked by
> > somebody else's claim-jumping, is there? ^_^
>
> Ambushing an ambush.... yeah, I like it!

Don't know how often it would ever happen in gaming but I could just picture occasions when the rival interlopers became so busy fighting one another that the original heroquesters just went along their way without even being disturbed leaving the winning interlopers with egg on their faces after the fight was over. :D

> And it occurs to me that very little of that post was
> WW specific. HQ-specific, yes. Could be worth copying
> it to say HQ-RPG? It would work anywhere where
> hero-questing is done, it's not even limited to
> Glorantha.

Sounds good to me. ^_^

"This is the Tokyo Police Cataclysm Division! Please flee in terror in an orderly manner!" - Fred Gallegher, Megatokyo, www.Megatokyo.com