Inspiration over beer

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 13:08:04 +0000 (GMT)

Nick Brooke gave me an idea last night, and I thought I'd share it on the list to see where it takes us. Let's go back to 1613, when a lot of very anti-Lunar Sartarites leave Sartar and turn up in Whitewall. The obvious, simple result is that Broyan suddenly has a large and competent warband plus other powerful people at his disposal, and this is a factor in him becoming High King a while later.

What Nick added was the point that Broyan is trying to take his people back to the old Orlanthi traditions, with no Malkioni, and no Pharoah. He needs to find out what those traditions were, and how to make them work as a part of society.
Sartar was founded by a bunch of Orlanthi escaping from the Pharoah, and never had the Malkioni in the first place. It's done all the changes Broyan wants. And here at his fingertips are a bunch of Sartarite leaders who can tell him exactly how that system works.

This won't work easily or as planned, of course - that wouldn't be any fun for gaming or story. To start with, while we don't have a definitive list of who went, we do know Kallyr was one of them - and she's busily tearing up tradition and looking for just about anything else that'll help deal with the Lunars. The city structure Sartar imposed was never a traditional Orlanthi thing anyway (the Colymar, who never accepted it, will be quick to point that out I'm sure).

It's a great source of tension between Sartarites and Volsaxi at WW - the Volsaxi see the newcomers as having too much influence on their king and giving him these radical "new" ideas - and they're quite right except that the ideas aren't new.

Reviving old traditions... Remind you of anything in real life? Take a look at the Victorian revival of Druidism.

The other idea Nick came up was the question of Broyan's age. AFAIK it's never stated anywhere, is it? He liked the idea of a young and impressionable Broyan swallowing everything he was told. Personally I don't feel this fits what he's like by the 1620s, but others may differ.

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
The World's Favourite Email http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html