Re: Inspiration over beer

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 19:18:11 GMT

In message <706271.23311.qm_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>Nick Brooke gave me an idea last night, and I thought
>I'd share it on the list to see where it takes us.
>Let's go back to 1613, when a lot of very anti-Lunar
>Sartarites leave Sartar and turn up in Whitewall. The
>obvious, simple result is that Broyan suddenly has a
>large and competent warband plus other powerful people
>at his disposal, and this is a factor in him becoming
>High King a while later.
>
>What Nick added was the point that Broyan is trying to
>take his people back to the old Orlanthi traditions,
>with no Malkioni, and no Pharoah. He needs to find out
>what those traditions were, and how to make them work
>as a part of society.
>Sartar was founded by a bunch of Orlanthi escaping
>from the Pharoah, and never had the Malkioni in the
>first place. It's done all the changes Broyan wants.
>And here at his fingertips are a bunch of Sartarite
>leaders who can tell him exactly how that system
>works.

How they *think* it works! Can you imagine your MP giving a coherent explanation of how democracy works?

>This won't work easily or as planned, of course - that
>wouldn't be any fun for gaming or story. To start
>with, while we don't have a definitive list of who
>went, we do know Kallyr was one of them - and she's
>busily tearing up tradition and looking for just about
>anything else that'll help deal with the Lunars. The
>city structure Sartar imposed was never a traditional
>Orlanthi thing anyway (the Colymar, who never accepted
>it, will be quick to point that out I'm sure).
>
>It's a great source of tension between Sartarites and
>Volsaxi at WW - the Volsaxi see the newcomers as
>having too much influence on their king and giving him
>these radical "new" ideas - and they're quite right
>except that the ideas aren't new.

Actually some of them will be new - those things which changed to adapt to Dragon Pass. I don't know what they are but there will be some.

>Reviving old traditions... Remind you of anything in
>real life? Take a look at the Victorian revival of
>Druidism.

Not really, the Druidic revival was a recreation of the religion based on myths recorded by Christians several centuries after the Druids were wiped out. The Sartarites are practicing pretty much the same religion they were when they left Heortland and Esrolia. There'll be variation but it'll be more like the differences between the Roman Catholic and Anglican Churches. Both have developed since the 16th Century but in different ways.

>The other idea Nick came up was the question of
>Broyan's age. AFAIK it's never stated anywhere, is it?
>He liked the idea of a young and impressionable Broyan
>swallowing everything he was told. Personally I don't
>feel this fits what he's like by the 1620s, but others
>may differ.

I don't see him being less than 25 in 1620, more likely 30. He's an established leader not an impressionable youth. That would make him 18 in 1613. If someone like Mynarth Purple had got at him before then he might well believe all sorts of things that the Sartarites tell him.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/