Re: Dragonrise arc

From: Stuart Cogger <stuartcogger_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 22:18:27 -0000

> > Greg's been explicit that there's a definite Persian feel to a lot of the Lunar empire,
>
> They make carpets? That's all that "Persian" implies to me. A little bit of "didn't Alexander fight them?" and that's the end of my knowledge on the subject. I actually asked this at the wargames weekend, of a group of well-educated people with an interest in history, and didn't get much more. It just isn't a useful analogue. They could list a few of the elite units, they mentioned watering wine, that's about it. No-one had any idea how the empire was structured, or what a Persian military group in a conquered area to collect taxes would look like, but we all know about the Legions, Boudicca, and Asterix the Gaul.

Allow me a shameless plug for Tom Holland's book, "Persian Fire". Good holiday reading you can get through in a couple of days. His thesis for the Greek-Persian Wars runs along the lines of a rogue state resisting the political will of the world's largest superpower. Hmmm. Anyway, really good introduction to the Persians.

But I find it hard to get away from everything I loved about the Lunar army as presented in White Bear, Red Moon. Built around the Stone Phalanxes as the toughest 'normal' unit. This makes me think of Romans before Persians. An old fashioned view according to the new canon, I guess, but I'm sticking with it.

I'm still going with mt long term ambition of playing the campaign up to the Dragonrise, getting the characters into a unit (any unit, even a hero) and then playing out a Full Game of Dragon Pass to decide how future history pans out and whether they survive...

http://sites.google.com/site/runequestcampaign