Re: Re: Dragonrise arc

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 22:39:21 +0000 (GMT)

> Allow me a shameless plug for Tom Holland's book, "Persian Fire". Good holiday reading you can get through in a couple of days.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Persian-Fire-First-Empire-Battle/dp/0349117179/ref=wl_itt_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1T1FXV1Q3R8MD&colid=62DCH46ZCLRX

Added to wish list - thanks!

> But I find it hard to get away from everything I loved about the Lunar army as presented in White Bear, Red Moon.
> Built around the Stone Phalanxes as the toughest 'normal' unit.

I didn't meet them that early, but they can't have just changed overnight because a new rule-set came out, they and their opponents would have noticed.

> This makes me think of Romans before Persians.
> An old fashioned view according to the new canon, I guess, but I'm sticking with it.

They're both analogues, of course, but one's an analogue with something everyone knows about, and the other isn't. I expect both have elements of truth.

> I'm still going with mt long term ambition of playing the campaign up to the Dragonrise,
> getting the characters into a unit (any unit, even a hero)
> and then playing out a Full Game of Dragon Pass to decide how future history pans out and whether they survive...

What a wonderful idea!

I've never played Dragon Pass, but I've refought quite a lot of Gloranthan battles with Hordes of the Things rules. My future history diverges from KoS and CHDP slightly :) http://www.jane-williams.me.uk/glorantha/stories/Gloryday06.cfm (check out the foot notes)

http://sites.google.com/site/runequestcampaign

ooh, fun! And you're still back in 1615 at the moment? I see there's a tunnel from Boldhome to Whitewall - that seems to be a common theme in people's games, we should perhaps work out how to add that to "our" Whitewall.