Tunnels

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 20:52:00 +0000 (GMT)

> >ooh, fun! And you're still back in 1615 at the moment? I see there's a tunnel from Boldhome to Whitewall - that seems to be
> > a common theme in people's games, we should perhaps work out how to add that to "our" Whitewall.

> Personally I didn't like the idea of a 'tunnel' but ours is a shared game.
> I couldn't see any benefit or reason why it would run between Boldhome and Whitewall either, but hey ho.

It does seem a bit simplistic, especially a tunnel of that length, but for maximum useability, we probably need to allow for the possibility. "Routes out of Whitewall may include a very long tunnel to Boldhome or other points in Sartar. If so, here is the effect it will have on supply routes and defences..." (not a lot, it's too narrow and too slow)

Why would anyone have built it? When Whitewall was in its heyday, Boldhome didn't exist. The length sounds ridiculous. But.... suppose it's been built post-1613. In mundane reality, yes, the length is ridiculous. Get some earth magic in there.  They've had six years. I still don't see why, but it becomes more possible, and we start to get a look at who might have done it.

> I prefer a network of tunnels below the city that lead to the Troll Woods
> and a short journey through the Underworld to get to other tunnels.

That does sounds better. I seem to remember the geologists on our team had already ensured we were on the right sort of rock for tunnels, underground rivers, and so on.

> I like the idea of Kitori guides who could make the journey possible.
> Maybe with a Dune-Guild of Navigators-like ability to 'fold darkness'.
> Whatever way, something a bit less physical than a tunnel.

Ooh... this sounds like fun! What other effects would an ability like that have on the Kitori, though? If they can do it for purposes of WW, they can do it all the time, for purposes more important to them.