Re: Re: Dragonrise arc

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:54:50 +0000 (GMT)

> From: Chris Lemens chrislemens_at_...

and he explains it all so much better than I could!

> And clearly the reality of the Soviet social structure had little resemblance to the utopia claimed inthe manifesto.

That's the fun of so much of this: ideologies that bear no resemblance to the empires they spawn. We come to the barbarians bringing peace, tolerance, enlightenment, crucifixion, and the Crimson Bat...

> So, to be fair, it is more a caricature of the Soviet social structure that I find appealing.
and again, that's what we're doing with most of these analogues.

> Biggest difference to me is that the Lunar empire is at the center of its world, where the Soviets
> (especially in the early years) viewed Germany as being the center of their ideological world.
Did they really? I hadn't realised that.

>  This is where I think the British analogue might be better: London was the center of the
> financial and trading world, and the channel kept foreign threats at bay.

Do the Lunars have an equivalent to the Channel? The gap between the Moon and the rest of the world, maybe, but a barrier around Glamour, or the Heartlands, would fit better.

> The Soviet Union, especially in the pre-WWII period, had little in the way of modern tech
> communications and little in the way of genuine central control.

(nods) again, that's a lot of the fun: a system that absolutely depended on central control, and didn't have it.

>  If any of them are at Whitewall, they had to come through Tarsh (working on being civilized),
> Far Place (primitive, but trying), Sartar (barbarians without a decent road),

Oi! The one thing Sartar does have is good roads!

>.... So he creates the legions, which are explicitly lunarized, led by Tarnils officers, etc.

> Because they are mostly people without other prospects, they can't afford their own equipment
> and so are dependent on the big cheese for their position in life and land in retirement.
> Something of a Praetorial Guard, but without (yet!) the ability to appoint an emperor.
> For now, they would be his most ideologically dependable troops.

Thats' them!