Re: Re: Tunnels

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 21:06:37 +0000 (GMT)

> And if there are going to be a network of tunnels under Whitewall then it stands to reason that
> Lunar military engineers are going to realise that Whitewall sits atop karst and know that caves
> and tunnels are a probability. This will add a whole new element to the siege as Lunars attempt
> to locate/blockade/penetrate such tunnels.

Indeed.

> I would guess that by the time the Bat attacks they have got the tunnels sewn up.

Not that early, I think. It's only after the Bat has been brought in and driven off that the Lunars get a new commander and start taking things seriously. Before that, the Orlanthi are waltzing in and out via the main gate, never mind about tunnels.

> They are clearly not a means of escape by the end and I would hate to have players
> thinking, "not to worry, we can always bolt down the tunnels if it gets too bad"...

Oh, no. But mid-siege, 1620 say, we have have plenty of tunnel warfare: exploration of tunnels by both sides. There's "interesting" things, down there in the dark...

> In any siege we have to have the moment to choose whether to stay and fight or leave, and the moment
> when you have to come to terms with the fact that leaving is no longer an option and that death is all but a certainty...

23 bodies. I still have to work out exactly how the last few escape in my campaign (since I expect the PCs to be among them), but I'm pretty sure the HeroPlane is involved.