Re: Re: Tunnels

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:35:02 +0000 (GMT)

> > They went through the south gate, and through secret ways which only they knew.

> From a literal perspective: Is there a southern gate on Whitewall? If not, what's on the sourthern side?

Let me check.. aaargh, the map on the Wiki is a broken link! Looks like it still points at John's old site, and he moved to a new URL ages ago now.

> How can there by secret ways when you are at the top of the spike? Everything is downhill.

The Law Rock was in the middle of the Camp. If that's the Spike, it was a big Camp.

> Unless you go through the sky dome (which seems unlikely to me).

And me.

> Of course, Orlanth is the god of air, so he could fly. Maybe the secrets ways are through the air.

maybe.... or maybe it's the usual Sartarite idea of sneaking through mountain passes.

I have an idea TR has a "map" of Orlanth's Stead and the surrounding areas.. yes, p137. But that's Oralnth's stead, not Umath's Camp, and there's a difference.

> > "A dragon was there". We don't know if it helped, hindered, or just watched.

> I'd leave that open to the players. There's a dragon. How does your clan feel about dragons?

Only works if they're all from the same clan. No, I think we need to come up with some options here. GM choice, of course, but we do need to give them something to pick from.

> > "Pole Star helped." That's Rigsdal. I think we can figure out who was doing that bit of magic
> > (at least in the generally useful version: in my game it'll be a PC), but what it was - no idea.

> I think that we could leave that off-screen if we need to.

We could, yes, but we have only thee clues to what was going on: south, dragon, Pole Star. We're not exactly overwhelmed with information, so it would be good to make use of what we've got.

> Generically, the pole star gives guidance at night. So maybe he just points the way.

Maybe. Rigsdal keeps lookout, which isn't quite the same thing. Maybe Rigsdal notices which route *isn't* already blocked by enemy. We know they were approaching from the North, so escaping South does make sense: does Rigsdal spot the short-lived and rapidly moving gaps in the lines? Sort of like a game of Frogger? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frogger

Of course, this does rather require that Rigsdal is last to leave... either that's one of the 23, or (s)he has another route out.

Broyan and co were hiding out in some spare Short World afterwards, weren't they? Some king's hall that was terribly cold: I should know this, and my memory is going blank on me.