Re: Re: Dragonrise arc

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 22:35:56 GMT

In message <843795.89708.qm_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>> Sent: Monday, 16 March, 2009 14:10:39

>But didn't arrive till Tuesday morning: I wonder why? I might go
>header-chasing, if Donald doesnt' know either.

The "Sent" is a bit misleading. It's when I finished writing it rather than when it got dispatched.

>>It is, but these are Fazzur's troops. They *would* be more loyal to
>>him than to the Empire, and that's one very good reason why Fazzur
>>tends not to be trusted by the Empire! B***y provincials....
>
>> But why is the King of Tarsh allowing Fazzur his own
>> private army of thousands?
>
>a) He isn't - it's a "Lunar" army that ended up more loyal to Fazzur
>than to the Empire.

Then something has gone badly wrong. That's the sort of thing the Seven Mothers cult in the provinces is supposed to prevent. He could have marched on Glamour!

>b) How do you plan on stopping him?

Assassination, arrest for treason.....

>>I can imagine the troops from Tarsh favouring him
>> over a Dara Happen but if it is all about personal loyalties to
>> individual generals then where's Tatius's personal army?
>
>The ones loyal to him personally because he inspires that sort of
>loyalty?

That would be the Colleges of Magic then.

>Have you met Tatius?

You've read pretty much all Charmanda has told me about him.

>> From a game arc POV we start the players off facing Provincial
>> Militia. They learn how to ambush and beat them up which they
>> can do reasonably easily as starting characters.
>
>You're assuming their main role in life is as combat troops beating
>up Lunars, but fair enough, it'l be true for at least some groups.

You need some Lunars who can be beaten by the PCs. I just don't want it to be the elite units. Which is what happens when you define them as the default.

>> I'm sure a typical Orlanthi will regard cataphracts as creatures
>> of Mostal or sorcerous inventions until they realise there's
>> a man and horse under all that armour.
>
>I doubt it. Orlanthi aren't pure Dark Age tech, they have full plate
>until it's banned by the Lunars. They might want to get their hands
>on a horse capable of carrying the weight, though.

I know some did in RQII but I don't see plate armour as all that common among the Orlanthi. Certainly horse armour is unknown because as you say they haven't horses capable of carrying it. Anyway ancient cataphracts didn't have plate armour, they used various types of ring mail or small metal plates fastened to leather. A strange style of all enclosing armour is going to be enough for many to cry demon.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/