Re: Whence Wallenstein?

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 00:12:23 +0100 (CET)

Jane Williams
>> Newbie question: What is the origin of "Wallenstein" in "Fazzur
>> Wallenstein"? I don't recall seeing it before recent threads on this
>> group, and it sounds "off" to my mind's ear.

> My guess would be this:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albrecht_von_Wallenstein

> I'd never heard of him before, but a quick skim shows definite parallels.

Oh well, another cultural assumption gone into "never heard of it" land.

Wallenstein was one of the most intriguing characters in the 30 years war in Germany, a lowly rural noble who started an enterprise fielding and equipping Landsknecht forces for the Catholic cause, and who became duke of Mecklenburg at the height of his success, and one of the two main leaders of that side, until his power-grabbing started to unnerve the other powerful leaders on his side.

Years ago Jeff Richard and I found significant similarities between Fazzur and Wallenstein, one important one being that Wallenstein put up a business which made warfare an economic success. (Few mercenary companies managed to break even, even fewer feudal or late feudal rulers did.)

We know that Fazzur had followers more loyal to him than to the causes Fazzur fought for, and that this caused his rivals to stab his back. Fazzur returns from such treatment several times, but draws the line in 1625.

I used "Fazzur Wallenstein" to indicate that there was a whole complex of leagues to back his enterprise. Including the horse breeding business, equipment fabrication and feeding of the forces.