Re: Whence Wallenstein?

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:12:04 +0100 (CET)

Jane Williams

>> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albrecht_von_Wallenstein

>> > I'd never heard of him before, but a quick skim shows definite
>> parallels.

>> Oh well, another cultural assumption gone into "never heard of it" land.

> Blame the British education system and it's "start at the beginning and go
> on to the end" methods. He's slightly later than the point at which I
> dropped history,

The main difference to our educational system is that we don't get to drop history until the end of school...

> and the bits and pieces I've picked up by reading at
> random since didn't mention him. In fact, the entire war is news to me
> (well, beyond the assumption that most of Europe has spent most of its
> history at war, so the chances were that a war was occuring between those
> dates).

> Yes, he looks like a good parallel and source of inspiration.

A precursor of Blackwater, and continuing the tradition of Greek mercenaries in Persia or Egypt. Also interesting are his generals who came from all over Europe. In Fazzur's case, he'd have recruited officers from all over the Empire.

>> "Besides it being completely "non-Glorantha-sounding" IMO...."
> Yes, most of Glorantha, at least in this area, doesn't have German-derived
> names. (A shame.) But this is why I tend to look at literal meanings, and
> translate. "Boiling stone". Put that in some other language (what language
> is preferred, for Tarsh? Latin/Greek for Lunars?) and you have the
> reference for those who like it.
> Carregberwi, or something like it, in Welsh/Stormspeech.
> Lapideus ferveo in Latin (I think - my Latin is rusty)
> Neither of which sound too good to me :(

I didn't mean to make that an epithet of Fazzur, but to hint at the kind of enterprise Fazzur and his followers had going on since 1600.

> Ooh, maybe we can use that meaning, as how the business empire got
> started. Ever heard the story about Stone Soup?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_soup

That's a variation of the Harst myth, or the miraculous feeding at the sermon at the mount.

No such lowly origin for Fazzur and his kin. Their ancestors were either partisans of HonEel or immigrants when her infant child ruled Tarsh. Either way, they became Lunar nobility in the Orindori tribe, and started to build or maintained connections with Sylila, probably by marriage. When Phargentes rose to the rank of Provincial Overseer, these folk rose in his wake, enough for their daughter to become eligible for marriage to the Moirades or his son.

Staunch supporters of the Tarshite cause under Moirades, and devout Lunars.

(A question: how much of a heavy non-chivalrous cavalry tradition was there for Chromwell to form the New Model Army?)