Re: Smuggling weapons from Prax to Whitewall?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 12:11:22 +0000 (GMT)

> Jane Williams caught me in one of the rare weeks away from the computer...

Aargh, the horror!

Shorter? I'd seen the nomad bows as being pretty short. I've a got a few pictures of this bow in use, have one at random... http://www.flickr.com/photos/janewilliams/2395469994/ and here's the same (quite short) guy with a longbow http://www.flickr.com/photos/janewilliams/2393163645/in/set-72157600349062892/

>Archery can cover from the sides if there are
> platforms or towers sticking out of the wall line.

I'm sure we can manage platforms and towers.

> There's nothing to ruin your shot (or bow) like having one of the bows
> arms hit an obstacle. Such as a crenellation you are careful not to lean
> across (in order to avoid enemy arrows).

Good point.

>Given the elevation of
> the wall, the defenders may have an almost unholy range if they get
> sufficiently powerful bows.

"Mile throw javelin" with a bow, and no magic.... well, maybe not quite.

> I'd hate to shoot an Impala bow, personally...

Yes, but you're seven feet tall :)

> I guess the Zebra, Unicorn,
> Sable and Pol Joni bows will be ok. Especially the latter, given the
> number of Grazer recruits following Derek into the Praxian Marches.

> Pol Joni own Pentan cattle, Sables have their own tribal beasts. Both
> would be prime sources for horn for bows.

Sounds good.

> If they start working on additional bows as soon as
> Fazzur sets off, they might have some ready a year later.

That sort of timeframe? OK. For the Penny Love novels we're looking at pre-1619 anyway.

> There might be a side scenario bringing a huge stock of horns into the
> dead place for rapid drying, though...

Sounds like a good idea!

Getting a huge supply of Sable horns would be fun, too.

> Given my extreme draw length, I prefer the 6 foot self bow (I don't own a
> longbow reaching up to the top of my head) to the 4 foot horse bow for
> lateral stability.

I only draw 26", so less of a problem. What's your draw length? 32" plus?

> Bison hide is quite tough, too, if you leave the fur on (and make it into
> felt padding). It would make good ballistic hangings to top the
> crenellations.

And you shoot out from between the hangings? I can't quite visualise how this works.