Re: Hi, I see there is an upcoming WW book

From: Rob <lamorak33_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 21:33:49 -0000

I have always been a great fan of Greg's vision of the Orlanthi. He has a great feeling for myth, and he broadly portrays them in a heroic vein which I love. Contrast this to other views as the Orlanthi as some sort of nutjob race a la Al Qaeda terrorists!! Not fun fun to play!

Rob:
> > Which would be a shame as it robs Heortland of some of that old
> > skool (RQ2/3) charm.

Joerg:
> Hmm. I consider myself sort of old school on the topic of Heortland, but
> my old school vision has little in common with the RQ2 vision in Penny
> Love's novels. Which of the charms are you referring to?

There seemed to a bit of a combo of the western culture and the Orlanthi. I played on this to great effect in my game. What with Huscarls, culture clash with with their resident northern cousins holed up in WW. My Broyan was not the uber Vingkot king, more like the uber Orlanthi king. The heirarchy of the city borrowed heavily from western practices.

This is a sample of the flavour I got from G:CotHW.

Rob:
> > It would be a shame if we go the model where the
> > Volsaxi Orlanthi are facsimilie of their Sartarite cousins....

Joerg:
> Is there a consensus what the Sartarite Orlanthi are like?

I just dont buy this notion that the hill folk are so much less sophisticated as the townies. Maybe in pockets, if its fun, but not as a rule.

Thunder Rebs is my barometer for the Heortlings.

Cheers, Rob