Re: Digest Number 452

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 08:17:21 -0700 (PDT)

Stew wrote:
>So I'm afraid this is why I don't want to supply my 'expertise'; I'd
rather Glorantha loosened its tie and went crazy, instead of enfranchising mundanity. I doubt it will happen, but I can hope.

When Greg and I wrote the introduction to Dragon Pass we were pretty clear: Gloranthan geography is created by mythical processes not terrestial ones. If you have that book, please re-read it. I think that applies across Glorantha, and don't see anything to say it does not. To understand Glorantha you need to know myths not sciences.

Rob wrote
>In my Glorantha Kallyr is a kind of Luke Skywalker character... For
others she is a blood thirsty tribal warlord who thinks nothing of murdering women and children to get her own way, possibly a la Boudicca of history.

Different topic I think. This is what Robin Laws identifies as establishing the 'genre' from which your game draws its inspiration. Glorantha can play host to a range of genres as much as the real world can. It's just as acceptable to have a story in which Kallyr is the hero in the tradition of epic fantasy as it is to have her in the tradition of gritty fantasy or historical fiction (my games always seem to be a little bit like Joe Abercrombie's First Law series...).

The important point is that everyone knows what kind of genre you are going to play at the table. It's not much fun creating Luke if you discover the genre GM has in mind is taken from the Godfather movies.

What is interesting is how well an audience reacts to diffferent visions of the same rpg universe. Tolerance here would, I suspect, have saved a lot of pain over the years).

 Ian Cooper