Re: Draconised (sic) myths

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_0Ol4ZT1pstCHVwcBzMoPPHcR-m6-nujJTdeH8WZmZNfuJL3rZjQKiOJXtPW18P-Vy44_828>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:08:19 -0800

YGWV Quoting parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_GdVyOMzRjBB0INWstat61hR7tLymf92AVKxbf9BTKTbKDkXCcrOm1yWy15LQrIshTdgszqfmMJ4Ipdr5t6WI.yahoo.invalid>:

> I'm curious about something in the thread David Dunham started about
> draconised myths. Namely: Is it individuals, or communities, which are
> advancing on the dragon path?

Individuals.

> What I've read so far makes it sounds as if it's individuals seeking
> their own, personal dragon nature. However, a community might be able
> to advance itself (more precisely, its guardian) by performing the
> draconic form of heroquests and seeking a community benefit. In fact,
> the great dragon project of the EWF might be a series of draconic
> quests for the EWF's guardian.

They can do this.
It is something of a misapplied worship, though. But it could be done, and was.

> A related question is how widespread draconic worship is. It's
> possible that only a tiny cadre of priests and ascetics pursue
> draconic wisdom seriously. Most individuals, in contrast, might make
> only small advances, perhaps only as part of a community, hoping to
> get further along in a future life.

I think this is essentially correct. However, as time passes more and more people became part of it, even if nly in a small way.

> One implication would be, if so: Clan and tribal heroes would follow
> the non-draconic heroquest paths most of the time. Only a tiny
> fraction of committed worshippers would follow the draconic ones.

As time passes, more people take on the Draconic way. And as the draconic religion becomes stronger, it becomes less tolerant of what they see as aberations in the True Way, which further diminishes nondraconic practices in their community.

Note that I am talking here about the Dragon Religion, generally a theistic method of worship that benefit the community.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford