Re: Culture of Dragon Pass

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_yROQ52ZGPcX_lWOUS3TYYPl_9qNaaXzubsRIAbHBnKxax8FyZpHBMiTJQCRVh_HrtvZhjwF>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 16:51:21 -0800

YGWV
I am going to be able to respond today, but will be out of town until Tuesday, at StellarCon in Greensboro, NC. I will do my best to follow up after my return.

Quoting innerworlder2000 <innerworlder2000_at_4rEO7212o0Rj0Dx3SoJitfHxx9eqQ7-LrT6KTPc7czXVu6yE4b6Jy5D5ElMYHqcwyQno350jF4BQyEdEyPRaCw.yahoo.invalid>:

> Greg, what is your view of power and control in Dragon pass in the
> second age? Is the EWF still a chiefdom (centralized leadership that
> consists of an office of chief as opposed to shifting leadership) with
> ranked society, genealogical position and geographical units within
> the chiefdom? (Barbarian society in RuneQuest 3)

In general yes, but with some significent modifiers. First, the clan is the essential unit, as always. Clans are still organized as tribes, whose political structures handle many of the traditional duties.
However, the priesthoods have gained much more power than both before and after the EWF, and dominate the larger-scale politics. The priesthoods seize control after the Gbaji Wars, and they slowly change from the traditional religions to ones dominated by the draconic religions and cults that were outlined last message I sent here. Note how the Alakoring magic alows the kings to dominate the priesthood. This is an important part of their power, and after the EWF they used it to once again to dominate politics, as they are supposed to.

> Or has it become a state society with social stratification, primarily
> agricultural, production which allows the development of cities,
> economic and occupational specialization and extensive trade and paid
> soldiery? Ranking would not be based on kinship, but rather each
> class marries within itself and kin ties no longer extend throughout
> the whole society? (Civilized society in RuneQuest 3)

There is certainly some of this, but rather than penetrating socieity it is rather laid over the clan structure.

> If I am fairly clear on this issue I can run a second age campaign in
> Dragon Pass filling in all the details with traditional chiefdom or
> state economic structures and family organization. Your information
> on Dragon religion is more than sufficient to explain theological issues.

Let us hope I am as concise and fulfilling here too!

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford