Re: Vadrudi's customs and history

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_qV31YyHxALBbow8AYkhcFYQrudvxfAEVWrF5bg6kO3Pb3XabS5SUp8b-RmjXtaRjZWSU>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 02:33:26 -0000

OK, I am going to take a different tack from the rest of the digesters here.

First, despite what Peter says, Vadrus was utterly destroyed in the Great Darkness by Wakboth. When Wakboth came into Glorantha, Vadrus tried to gain Wakboth's power by defeating it. Instead, Vadrus was utterly destroyed, so that today worshiping him is of no value. Vadrus could not be contacted in the First Age, in the Second Age, or in the Third Age.

Second, Vadrus was never a "culture god". I suspect that the Yggs Islanders and various other cultures in Fronela may have survived the Darkness (or maybe the Gbaji Wars, or maybe the Imperial Age) with the aid of hostile and malevolent storm and wind spirits - for instance, the folk in northern Fronela that survived the Middle Sea Empire by offering tribute to Valind and his hollri. Or the Yggs Islanders who also survived the Imperial Age with the aid of cruel Ygg. There are probably a few other scattered examples.

However, these cultures would not call themselves "Vadruding" nor would Orlanth necessarily be a god that they had any strong opinions all. Although all these cultures are likely cruel and ruthless, that's likely because they exist in very marginal lands and have barely eked out a survival with the aid of their cruel and ruthless gods.

Jeff