Re: Aftermath of Battle of Iceland

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_ttIB28VHDAhqFjfgEoDhIBKPTgVGYAADUGTbX_Wj4P0IpF61bPMpDIpkpdxWOJ6af75>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 12:49:13 +1100 (EST)

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007, donald_at__azQaaVHHJ5vvHGq3YRxxF3kPFH32xewI3MLAC60eAckBeqMTJ35DeO2M7Ixbe2_H2X_Q-VlleSecxQPfx8.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> In message <Pine.GSO.4.63.0703091227140.4358_at_sMtriWg-UvX5r287xIcw3W7PB-wUZjAh2u3nY2VnwxHpW2IrpLKkYTiS95CHNPrK_Qvr837FEA3bIbDXuhTxVLjC-0XDEtaOahvi4Te4KIHN3nfKnABVH8M8BejYpwdGFuc.yahoo.invalid> Michael Hitchens writes:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Re-reading Orlanth is Dead there's something I can't quite fit together,
>> probably something I'm missing, but anyway....
>>
> I'm going to stick my neck out here and say I think the scenario
> results are Rebel propaganda. The whole Sartar Rising series is
> written from the point of view of a bunch of Rebel PCs. It fits
> that story for the book to end in a clear success for those PCs.
> This is also the way that the PCs will think - a clan will followed
> the way of Orlanth will benefit from our success, a clan which
> let the traditions slip will get by and a clan that converted to
> the Lunar way will suffer.
>
> Objectively it won't be anything like this clear simply because
> every clan has some Lunar converts, some Rebels and a lot of
> people who didn't commit one way or the other. Further
> complicating the issue is Lunar support - when the winter starts
> hurting the Seven Mothers cult is going to be working to
> minimise its effects on their allies.
>
> So how is this reconciled?
> Clans which suffer badly will find Lunar traitors to blame and
> outlaw. Clans which do well will explain that they really
> supported the rebellion all along but couldn't get rid of
> Lunar appointed leaders. And the messy business of Orlanthi
> power politics will continue much as it always has with leaders
> like Broyan and Kallyr trying to hold a workable alliance
> together.
>
> So what happens to the Black Oaks? Whatever you want. If you
> want a recurrent enemy to disappear from the story then the
> clan collapses and survivors flee to the Empire. Or they fight
> a last stand against your PC heros. Perhaps your clan accepts
> their women and children as thralls? If you want to keep the
> recurrent enemy then they survive fairly well and switch sides
> claiming to have supported the rebellion all along. Not that
> your PCs are going to trust those damn turncoats....

Thanks - that makes it easier to understand. My take is that I would be surprised if moe than halfg a dozen clans (if that many) vanished across the whole of Sartar. My assumption is that even clans like the Black Oaks have nothing like a majority who have "converted to the Lunar Way".

Of course, that could be just my Glorantha varying :-)

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_9c6fjZaYsg_hfo9h51jxmEKIx2CXi_K5TfURlhS59qbaOjvzo6Bk98Y2Uw0t97iDj2rQQ53-fcL1Dq7s6XM.yahoo.invalid