Re: The Carmanians in the Second Age

From: innerworlder2000 <innerworlder2000_at_sQLOC8n7Wt9WB0EZaW73ZMiPxpFzpfsk_fb5UbyqxXA_5qVl2gbUZbktDgQ>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 17:08:36 -0000

I looked at the material on your internet site (I think it is your site) and got this information, which was helpful.

"The Carmanian approach to religion has an unusual character owing to
their unique history and culture. The Carmanian culture was shaped by the teachings of Carmanos the Prophet, who founded a revolutionary new religion that included elements of his father's western monotheism with the native polytheism of Pelanda. Carmanos revealed that Idovanus, the Pelandan High God of Order, was in reality Romankrinturos - the Highest God, God of Good, and Creator of the Universe. Idovanus is opposed by Ganestatarus, Lord of Deceit, who strives to ruin all that Idovanus creates."

So the Carmanian religion was not really founded until the group arrived in Pelanda, and it incorporated native elements of the Pelandan pantheon of deities. I can't find Romankrinturos in any of my material (not that I have it all- I have ordered the Fortunate Succession) or anywhere on the internet. Romanakirn is listed at http://kpmcdona.home.mindspring.com/carmania/religion/mythlist.html (I don't know who is compiling this list but it looks good.)

"When the Carmanian viziers failed a magical contest with the Pelandan
Blue Wizards, the religion suffered a crisis of faith."

So the magic contest in question did not happen until the group's arrival in Pelanda.

"This crisis was resolved by the introduction of Carmanian rites for
the worship of the Good Gods - Bisos, Charmain, Durbadath, Hum'akt, Oria, and Turos. The new religious order restricted sorcery to the Vizier caste, due to its potential for corruption. Another religious crisis later prompted restricting the direct veneration of Idovanus to the holiest Carmanians - a select order of wizards known as the Magi.  These holy men determine which of the local gods follow the Will of Idovanus, and which are part of the unholy Lie of Ganesatarus - the Evil One. Through the wise oversight of the Magi, the Circle of Good has widened to include many other deities, such as Natha, KetTuros, and KetEnari. The overwhelming majority of Carmanians worship one of these approved deities."

http://kpmcdona.home.mindspring.com/carmania/religion/mythlist.html lists Natha, KetTuros, and KetEnari and tells more about these deities.

This material seems to put light on most of the comments made. However, I am still in the dark as to why these people left Loskalm. I just found this about ten minutes ago.

Peter Metcalfe
http://glorantha.temppeli.org/digest/heroquest-rpg/2000.07/0964.html says,
"The "Fronelan Malkion" is Makan, the God of the people who expelled
Syranthir from Loskalm as I said before. You may remember that they happened to be Syranthir's Kin thus it is perfectly rational for the Carmanians to describe Makan as the Fronelan's Malkion."

Syranthir and his kin were expelled from Loskalm.
"I have described how their religion evolved on p120 of the Glorantha
Intro. They got their butt kicked out of Loskalm and then lost a contest with the Logicians. As a result of this, the Carmanians discovered that sorcery was not a Good Thing as they had thought it was. I even described the steps they took as a response to this."

"They got their butt kicked out of Loskalm." A description of the
incident or a few of the events leading up to it, while not necessarily helpful in a 3rd age campaign, could shed great light on cultures of the 2nd age. It says the God Learners, using their superior sorceries, expelled the Carmanians from Fronela. How did they use their sorcery to expel them? This could have happened in many different ways.

One point is important. When the group left Loskalm, they were monotheists. Since they picked up the concept of dualism from Pelandan pantheons, they must have been monotheists when they arrived in Peloria. However, it seems that soon after they arrived they had some doctrine of dualism concerning Idovanus and Ganesatarus. So my question concerning this issue (when did they become dualists) still is not answered.

They lost a contest with Pelandan Logicians, after arriving in Peloria. Actually, when they arrived in Peloria, the Blue Wizards (Logicians) challenged the Carmanian viziers to a duel. The Carmanian viziers lost. At this point the story becomes blurry. How did the Pelandan Logicians demonstrate that Carmanian sorceries could be used for evil ends? It seems as though a sentence or two is missing.

Upon investigation the viziers found that their own sorceries proceed from Fronalako, and evil servant of Ganesatarus, and not directly from Idovanus as they once believed. Now only the viziers are allowed to practice sorcery for their superior moral perception allows them to discern between the sorcery of Idovanus and Fronalako's debased sorcery. For all other Carmanians, sorcery is forbidden.