Re: The Carmanians in the Second Age

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_rk97FEVhO7lV20vIk2MANcrjvCEVtsJyUxJj_Oax75sLXhMXHTUKgVv98hIKemEZ10m>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 19:14:49 +1200

At 05:48 p.m. 25/03/2007, you wrote:

>Kitor is shown on the Peloria
>regions map of GtSA. When did Kitor become established?

It's unknown but I think it's established when Jhor was colonized 729-750 ST.

>When
>Syranthir arrived in Pelanda, at which village or place did he meet
>the Lady of the Lake the first time? ­or is this known?

Nick Brooke's website suggests the city of Brinnus which is on the lake.

> I was also
>looking at a map of 3rd age Pelanda, and I was wondering which of the
>following cities/villages did NOT exist before 908?

>Harandash

Built by Shah Haran the Great (reigned 1082- 1180)

>Burntwall

Formerly Dolebury. Built by the Carmanians well after 908 (Nick Brooke's page suggests 1125).

>Dendeno

An ancient settlement which exists as far back as the Storm Age.

>Petela

Existed during the Storm Age as part of Daxdarius's hegemony.

>Hariij

First mentioned in the Grey Age (between the Darkness and the Dawn).

>Rafelios

Existed in the Storm Age as part of Daxdarius's hegemony.

>Enthyr

First mentioned as the home of the "Spolite" Emperor Aegrastus.

>Ulawar

Existed in the Storm Age.

>Balovius

Existed in the Storm Age as part of Daxdarius's hegemony.

>Uthencos

Uthensos - also existed in the Storm Age as part of Daxdarius's hegemony.

>Kendesos

Existed in the Storm Age as part of Daxdarius's hegemony.

>Hagu (city of the dead?)

Exists on the Heroplane only.

>Osthens

Existed in the Storm Age as a town without walls. May or may not have been under Daxdarius's hegemony.

>Keselia
>Mintinus

Listed in the Storm Age as being under Daxdarius's hegemony.

>Ajaak

No information known.

>Meglardirth
>Hurvisos

Existed under Daxdarius's hegemony in the Storm Age.

>Tawenos

Home of the Bisose Bull people in mythical times. Not cited as part of Daxdarius's empire perhaps because it wasn't a settled city then but the place did exist in the First Age.

>It seems that Spor and Zhor exist as separate areas at this looking at
>GtSA. Did Spol and Zhor exist before Syranthir arrived or were they
>just part of Pelanda?

Zhor is actually named after the Loskalmi province of Jhor. I don't know when Spol acquired the name.

>What differentiates Zhor from Spol?

Jhor - Good people live here.
Spol - wicked evil worshippers of GanEstoro live here.

Furthermore Jhor is highlands while Spol is lowlands.

>And lastly,
>do any fantasy creatures such as Griffins inhabit the Oronin valley or
>surrounding areas (besides the Trolls and Dwarves of the Brass Mountains)?

Harpies, Owl Lions (Carmanian Griffins), Skybulls, Bronze Bulls and Bronze Goats, Horned Wolves, Gargoyles, Giant Worms, Giants, Basilisks, Krashkids and Ogres.

>Arir and Vangtal lie between the Oronin valley and the Barbarian belt.
>I imagine these are rough and rugged countries, given the
>descriptions of hilly and rocky Brolia and Andikki. Sassor is perhaps
>less rough and more suited to agriculture?

Sounds about right.

--Peter Metcalfe