Re: Deep, not popular

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_VVgDRj7plAjmIMDr2rqn5z8plv6n8_TTPV4MnyGig1I7plK5kHgI_odqMJU_4qGjtMO>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:30:22 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007, Paul King wrote:

> On 7 Apr 2007, at 13:32, Simon Phipp wrote:
>
>> And again (KoS p 24) "He conspired with Orlaront Dragonman, the son of
>> Ingolf, and with the Purple Seer, and they awakened a tremendous
>> dragon
>> which had been sleeping near the lunar headquarters.The monster
>> attacked the people there, and devoured the leaders and magicians of
>> the imperial host."
>>
>> Not a sniff of Kallyr.
>
> For those who aren't familiar with King of Sartar (KoS). This quote
> comes from "Argrath's Saga". The less unreliable Composite History
> of Dragon Pass (CHDP) places this event while Kallyr is still active
> (p153-4) and does not credit Argrath with being involved (even though
> it has a pro-Argrath bias and wouldn't leave something like that
> out). Minaryth Purple is listed as present and he is a follower of
> hers according to material collected in Jalk's Boook (p235) and so is
> Orlaront Dragonfriend.

As I said elsewhere the CHDP to me seems to be awfully full of holes re Argrath career prior to becoming an independent leader. What did he do to be one of the rivals for the throne? It omits stuff where he was a sub-leader, answering to Kallyr. Which he must have at some point. So his involvement in the Dragon rising is omitted, as the CHDP doesn;t want to admit he was ever subordinate to, and a follower of, Kallyr.

> Minaryth Blue credits the DragonRise to Orlaront Dragonfriend (p212)
> Interestingly Minaryth Blue has Kallyr surviving until 1630 while
> CHDP places her death in 1626. (which is one of the pieces of
> evidence that Kallyr may be credited with rather less than she should
> be).
>
> In the Sky-ship scenario in _Gathering Thunder_ Minaryth Purple and
> Orlaront Dragonfriend are both working for Kallyr.

And so is Argrath Maniskisson. And as Argrath isn;t a proper name, it's pretty obviously a slot for whatever NPC you (might) have in mind as the future Argrath. And then why he would be on the sky ship but not involved in the Dragon riasing escapes me. I think he would be.

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_z_tzLT4_gse2fhczz2GX4CyV_fYhzsoTggvE1QPlGudB-pp1gYEYjI-YjsT4qZ1Lxpd_t3qhLCx-Txgtng.yahoo.invalid