Generally Accepted Glorantha (GAG) (was Re: Deep, not popular)

From: Doyle Tavener <doyletavener_at_9fWlL0NHqTcS4NP67kLeN3lUjv0hnJeG8pjxUtz9brioL5bV-pA-UwgkBCpSlQK>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 01:57:19 -0500

Jane Williams notes, in reply to Greg:

We all share information about
our Gloranthas. What is vitally important is to keep a clear distinction between the Glorantha that we *all* share, (based on the universe in RQ, KoS, TR, ST, and anything else that has been accepted into main-stream Glorantha and used in people's games and stories: you know, "popular" as in most people like it and use it), and things that are not even intended to be for general/popular use, and can't be, because they're not compatible with the general-use universe.

Many moons ago, the term ‘Generally Accepted Glorantha’ appeared on the Glorantha Mailing List (I don’t remember who first coined it, it may have been MOB). Jane’s definition of “the Glorantha that we *all* share” functions as a fairly good definition of GAG.

The acronym itself functions as an ironic commentary on the idea; there is no real standard for GAG.

In fact, there is no GAG, only an individual’s idea of what should be GAG, which varies, from one extent or another, to every other person’s version.

I have always privileged Greg’s version of Glorantha above others, even my own, in my own campaigns. That is often considered to be Badwrongfun, and in conflict with the principle of MGF, yet another Gloranthan acronym (also coined my MOB, I believe). But I have never run a Gloranthan campaign that was longer than a year and a half, so I have never had to retcon a currently running game to account for Gregging. I am not even sure I would even feel the need to, should it occur in the future.

I would point out that the Glorantha that Greg uses in games also varies from the Glorantha that he writes about, if the recent description of one of his con games is any guide.

This is different for those writers who have produced material, either fan or published for money, only to be told their work was no longer compatible with Greg’s vision of Glorantha. That can seem disappointing, but I would suggest that this is a matter of perspective.

A number of years ago, before the John Byrne version of Superman came out (which wiped away the previous continuity) Alan Moore was commissioned to write an ‘imaginary story’ where the ‘old’ Superman dies. But, as he pointed out in the introduction to the story, aren’t they all imaginary stories?

The upshot of all this is, even if GAG exists, which I don’t believe it does, I find it neither necessary or even useful for running games set in Glorantha.

This mailing list was ostensibly created so that Greg could answer questions about and comment on his Glorantha. I have enjoyed and found useful both Jane’s, Jeff’s and others’ commentaries about Vinga, Argrath and other matters, and if I saw their names on a fanzine cover, I would definitely pick it up. Greg always adds to his comments YGWV (more acronyms). But as far as it goes, I will always privilege and value Greg’s Glorantha over anyone else’s version of GAG.

Doyle