Re: Deep, not popular

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_7P5p1uwxa8Vc8a_hbE4sNykbhIGoxYqXHE7Qzw1KkAGnOvtI2eLoqtcewwY2hy8KDcH>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:10:45 -0000

Donald Oddy:
> Why the assumption that Argrath was Kallyr's subordinate? He might
> have been her opponent. Not in the sense of fighting for the Lunars
> but opposing her way of doing things. One of Kallyr's biggest
> problems is Orlanthi politics. Until she lights the Flame of
> Sartar she has to persuade tribal chiefs to follow her and then
> stop them changing their minds. While I'm sure the Lunars are
> doing their best to cause disagreements among the Sartarite leaders
> they won't need that much encouragement.

Garrath Sharpsword fled to Pavis after Starbrow's Rebellion, so he presumably took part in that failed action. That might imply that at one time he was acting under Kallyr, but I think she was an instigator rather than a leader. Sure, she was connected to the House of Sartar, just about, but she managed to get some of the tribes to rise and that's about it.

Later on, after the Dragonrise, she reacts to Fazzur's invasion of Sartar, gathers an army and drives him off. Then she lights the Flame of Sartar and becomes Queen. But, the impression I get is that she is only Queen until Argrath decides to oppose her, then his mate kills her and Argrath claims the throne.

So, they were certainly rivals and had claims to the throne.

I can't see an Oathbreaking connection, as was suggested by someone else, as people wouldn't follow an obvious Oathbreaker.

See Ya

Simon