Re: HQ Beginner - Character Generation questions

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_en1rKJuLtxLqhUWFtu-hoCoisltbU6ZIRTp4xRrISw4sdlvrJJSUE7Hi06HWdAWfFMz2s>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 16:57:51 -0000

> This clearly applies if the character begins unconcentrated, but what
> if he starts concentrated? I think it is logical to assume that he
> has learned at least some compatible common magic since his

*I* wouldn't assume such a thing. Maybe he was a child prodigy with regards to Concentration, and hasn't had time to learn any other magic?

> concetration. Perhaps the number of common magic abilities a
> beginning character gets should be inversely proportional to his
> involvement in a higher magic system.
> For example, a theist could get ten for being a communal worshipper,
> five for being an unconcentrated initiate, two for being a
> concentrated initiate and none for being a devotee.

I wouldn't want to make *rules* for it - you'd also have to look at the surrounding culture's Common Magic religion. Frex, Heortlings (with only talents available from Flesh Man) should have fewer CM abilities than someone whose CM better fit their magical system. But hey, your system works fine (except that by the RAW, you'd start from 5, not 10, CM abilities, but that's just number juggling).

At the end of the day, I don't particularly like the way Common Magic is done. I fought against the rules while they were being written, and was voted down. But, until the rules are rewritten, when I discusss RAW, I discuss how the rules currently work.

RR