Re: Adept's questions on chaos

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_U4pylqVupouSDg0Y2279ToZaPQ3V6o9G42UfU4AufFvZPDe2rzSCDH8EC9bEjtRb0B2>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:10:37 +1000 (EST)

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007, Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> At 01:53 p.m. 22/04/2007, you wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Apr 2007, Peter Metcalfe wrote:
>>
>>> Tim Ellis
>>> Then provide an example of a chaotic without a chaotic feature.
>>
>> I've already quoted this, but obviously need to again...
>>
>> Anaxial's Roster p.181, entry for Ogres
>
> Being an Ogre is a chaotic feature just as being a Broo or
> Scorpionfolk.

That's a rather silly circular argument. "Being chaotic means it is a chaotic feature means it is chaotic". Come on. The quote says "About 1 in 20 possesses a random chaos feature". Obviously being chaotic does not mean you automatically have a chaos feature. Theya re two *different* things. I'm not even sure what you're trying to prove by asking for chaos creatures without chaotic features. It seems unnecessary to the point you are trying to prove.

>>> Except that the Devil is, by and large, a God Learner construct
>>> woven together out of many different destruction myths.
>
>> Then what's under the block?
>
> A Praxian Horror that destroyed Genert's Garden.

Which could be called the Devil? Don't get hung up on the coincidence of that name and its Judeo-Christian usage. In Glorantha the Devil is a big nasty chaos creature who was put under the Block. Again i don't see your problem. There is nothing "universal" about it. I don't remember any reference to the devil, even Orlanthi, citing it as the sole mover of chaos.

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_3sFN2KaRY3zAzIaYO3HosNlpKeYyBTaxgxqhfWOBmhzpKQa_QJ0lGxSKQEZClQYETxYFoLqc1Ot49cYYF0-ewg.yahoo.invalid