Re: Heortling social structure and wergeld confusion

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_LZgfsY8p-2NaFClir1bhLejybGPgjDoIq4o-PI442SexxLrjUFcpWFOjHBfa-yPVfjx>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:24:07 -0000

Bloodlines are still distinct inside the clan. When I wrote family, I was searching for a translation for the finnish term "suku". That is family/bloodline in the sense that the word "kin" would parhaps define best. My cousins and and second cousins are still my kin, as are their spouses. I just started to work out some practical issues arising in play, and found that the current definitions are much too vague.

Who pays for the sword the PC wants? What about getting a fine horse or a nice cloak. I don't want to give them the impression that everything belongs to the clan, and the chief (and ring) then distributes it as they see best.

> The unit for survival
> among the Orlanthi is the bloodline or clan which holds the real
> wealth (land and herds) in communally. Heck, even the Vikings did
> this.

What I tried to outline in my original post, is pretty darn close to the viking model actually.

<snip>
> You might want to read up on how some of the cultures functioned
> such as the pre-Roman Celts and the like. Or, for example, the
> fairly sophisticated Iroquois tribes who had very extensive farming
> systems which were under a somewhat similar system.
>
> Jeff

Funnily enough it's one of the things I was reading about when searching for inspiration for this. In their system very ernalda-like women's counsil checked to see if the land was managed well, and if it wasn't, it was redistributed. The grain seems to still have belonged to the people working the allocated lands, not to a communal harvest-pool. Important point.

  -Adept