Re: Pedantic ragging on "Celtic"

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_329S1gRcLfqtf0rDYjN_PfotVIuJ-cn8GhnCLvOoCCPoGDMp7srSFjBCb54BqiLzEmn>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 09:22:29 +0100

> Note that I count
> those wacky Tournament helmets with all sorts of crests worn during the
> later Middle Ages as "ceremonial" - you wouldn't have found those in the
> middle of a for-real battle, or even the melee at the tournament.

Actually, you would in some of the later fifteenth/early sixteenth centuries tournament melees - but that only goes to show how far divorced they'd come from actual battle by that point. To bring it back to Glorantha, that's the image I have of many Loskalmi tournaments - pageantry being as much (and in some cases more) the point than actual combat-training. There's a fairly detailed description of Seshnegi tournaments in Lords of the West 2, and they're a good deal more bloody.

On a related note, at least IMG, Loskalm is about the only place in Glorantha that's safer to live in than the Lunar Empire, and the standard of living is on a par, too. (Of course, this rather changes once the Hero Wars get going and the Kingdom of War attacks, but I gather that the Lunar Empire has a fair degree of internal strife and invasion heading its way, too). The downside being that they're rather more conformist than some parts of the Empire are, so you takes your pick as to which is the better to live in, really. YGWV, in any case.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic