Illumination and reincarnation

From: Greg <Greg_at_-fpMC-lZDByNMSgaARcKfe9-GZS4YKeMesMyLdTDqyILO1GDZpZjtcGDxBgMDTgL8zynYkr>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 06:56:58 -0800

YGWV Boy, here's an old one! Amazing what one finds when one is awake at European time but in California...

> Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 12:57:59 +0000
> From: "Simon Hibbs" <simon.hibbs_at_dekoy-LW9figkcGb239IN8_WILny3Cb72TKMa0xRpeK_A5KhcbpRqdH-8dAQgC2yqy-t0zALsUwT-q7lOxqk.yahoo.invalid>
> Subject: [Glorantha] Illumination and reincarnation

> I'm curious about this because way back when the received wisdom was that
> illuminate would not reincarnate. I clearly remember asking this at a Lore
> auction. Sandy replied that they wouldn't and Greg said something along the
> lines of "I think that's right".
>
> I was curious because if you have awakened, or become aware of your Great
> Self, then manifesting a new personal self in a new incarnation seems a bit
> pointless. It would be a retrograde step, because then you'd be back to
> trying to become mystically awakened all over again.
>
> Does this still make sense nowadays?

I still think that a fully enlightened being would not reincarnate. Unless, of course, one is a bodhisattva. However, the bodhisattva idea always seemed a little strange to me. In such a person who is entirely enlightened does NOT transcend, in order to bring enlightenment to the rest of the suffering world. This is seen as an act of great compassion.
But compassion, as much as anger or desire, is an emotion that one ought to have transcended.
Thus a bodhisattva is a "failed mystic" as much as Sheng Seleris is. The only difference is that Sheng does it for selfish reasons, and a bodhisattva for selfless ones. But both fail to transcend...

--
Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.