Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_CNk0XIgbQChjjbGINKMGyojK0aHg09V19hZMFKnn2IYwptcL9UI08frbBKDG1cgb7M-dr-J>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:45:19 -0700

Quoting Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_IX7TOXqyNok7zudDCy1iHLBKIZkqTcTLtst7UaRxXezTyM04-Ddk39ei9VyQocrtbrfO-rzQiEVbrag.yahoo.invalid>:

>>> I've pretty much ignored it, too. I've said that all common magic that
>>> is part of your culture is equally available, whether its officially
>>> described as feats, spells, charms or talents. All foreign common
>>> magic is equally unavailable, again, regardless of type. It's not
>>> whether its a feat or a charm that's relevant, its whether its part of
>>> your culture/religion or not.
>>
>> Which is how I think it is supposed to be.

First, I do think that all your cultural CM is available to you.

> The problem is that "foreign" common magic is not easily identified. There
> may be a berry bush somewhere on your tula/in your city block/on your
> riverbank that just happens to give an ability off another culture's CM
> list. As a narrator, I wouldn't prevent a player from taking any CM ability,
> for just this reason. Heck, an Orlanthi hero might end up with cyclical
> Lunar Common Magic (I don't know - a meteoric fragment on the tula? A bit of
> an otherwise unknown Storm-friendly lunar being? Looted a charm off a dead
> soldier?)
>
> Just like all other abilities, the lists of Common Magic abilities are
> simply non-exclusive starting points. Any ability is available to a player
> hero, not just the ones on his culture's CM list, or Homeland keyword, or
> whatever.

Part of what we need to keep in mind is MGF. "Hey, look, there's a blueberry bush! I talked to the one by my Grandpa's house and it told me how to hide from panthers. I wonder what this one knows?"

But I'd never talk to a raspberry patch. They don't know how to talk!

BUT, if your PC thought, "Maybe that raspberry can talk too!" then, well, it is MGF.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford