Re: Outlawry

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_1e5SAwLpXeS7zHctf3U3WAsL1ezK_JwskJrazSExCQRSR7l4Z2PfnmGEnSdQcLZg1T8NxBs>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 07:50:22 -0700

YGWV
> > Peter Metcalfe wrote:

Great find Peter. And thank especially for the page references

At 02:42 p.m. 29/07/2007, you wrote:
> >Will you please share with me the story of when Orlanth was an outlaw?

> Wouldn't that be during the reign of the Evil Emperor?

This is one of those circumstances where a multiple definitions of a word confuses the issue.

Certainly during this time Orlanth was living outside of the law, but he was not formally Outlawed in the social/political sense.

> There's also:
>
> One time all of his brothers conspired, and helped by a thief and
> a trickster they caused Orlanth to be outlawed.

I hope people recognize this as being the time when Death was introduced into the world.

>This is the time
> of Ernalda's other guardians. [...] While Orlanth was
> gone, kinstrife
> rocked the Storm Tribe. Finally Vadrus killed Barntar, who stayed
> dead. This was the first true death in the kinstrife.
>
> After Orlanth's time of exile was over, Vingkot sacrificed and called
> him back.
> TR p146.

Again, living outside of (Yelm's) law, but no formally Outlawed.

--Greg