Re: Brands

From: David Dunham <david_at_NWJ9KDDtBL8QQT5Zgf0lx331ey2RsNu_NHTS9zzlsMQavc7f_dSxTnjQQxSIvVBWM-D-qe>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 18:16:17 -0700

Guy Hoyle

> Do Orlanthi brand their cattle? Does any Gloranthan culture do so?

I assume you mean "Heortlings." I don't recall any branding in any of the KoDP illos of Heortling cows. IMO the shagginess would make it difficult to quickly spot a brand.

The cows of Tarsh are portrayed in the game as being less hairy. I don't think they're shown with brands in the one or two scenes they're in. IMO it's more likely branding happens among the Bisosae. Or possibly Ralios. Anyone know what cattel breeds correspond to what they have? (Worion has curl-horned cattle according to ILH-1.)

I recall that some Earthly cultures (African, I think) know all their cows by name, and can recite their ancestry. It's possible that there's no need to brand them, because you can simply identify them.

--

David Dunham