Re: The Kolatings

From: Kenrae <kenrae_at_ag7qDCCpmEmf3-vWMNA8ZIRRfzwSGqiRHjs8xrzPK57HRqxBs_mu3s3KZ1SNHwVJMpZqp>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:39:52 +0200

> Posted by: "Greg Stafford" Greg_at_qjraNf8LkPUlEM2KBPL4jc5jjNtqyOyQSBkg4yMdnf_GpJUR78pDb8Z-ffn6_SMul8qK5cQ71_s3dA.yahoo.invalid glorantha1
> Sun Sep 9, 2007 4:25 pm (PST)
>
> Eing away for days at a time is pretty common. In the summer the
> shepherd boys will be gone for the whole season, merchants (if there are
> any) likely to be gone for a while to the big city, warriors away on
> patrol, leaders gone to the clan or tribal thing, women gone visiting
> their birth families, etc.

You're right on that, it's more common than I initially thought. The difference here is that most of those people are eager to return to their kin after awhile.

> > appearing when they're needed by the clan. A kind of semi-hermits who
>
> Yes, this is a pretty traditional view, but Kolatings may just as likely
> live right next door.

Yeah sure. But in this clan Kolatings are very rare. Only a couple of them or so. Besides, the spirits of the land are concentrated on the Hare Woods in this case, so shamans will be there mostly. That's how it is in this particular campaign.

> > are viewed as madmen by many,
>
> This old saw is particularly irritating. The anthropologists who
> "rediscovered" the living traditions loved to call the Siberian shamans
> madmen, psychotic, etc. (even Eliade did); but in fact most shamans live
> right in their community. Think of the Amerind healers, the Aboriginal
> or African spirit talkers, etc. and you might be able to rid yourself of
> this misplaced stereotype and get these important people back among the
> clan where they belong.

Woa! I know you're into shamanism, but calm down a little ;-). I'd never portray them like that in an animist culture. Even in a theist clan where they're more typical. But in this case I think it's spot on. As you've said, many people who didn't understand them called them mad, which I think it's what usually happens here. But that doesn't mean they're mad, only that many see them as such. In fact, I think this particular character will develop some affinity with them, and will think that many clansmates are the ones who are mad, not the shamans.

Greetings,
-Sergi