Re: Rightarm Islands - a word about the ships

From: donald_at_ZBqPMNoxSW-Tis3sU5glDP2K4G7i8RVFisQD9rR25BWFlf32o30TZUNR7V5R8tmDiknMN
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 00:17:15 GMT

In message <fck97a+sn7r_at_eGroups.com> "Evan Franke" writes:

>No one should have galleons shoved down their throa, but, on the
>other hand, no one should feel shamed out of them if they work in
>their Glorantha. Frankly, like everythinging in this detailed and
>elaborate world, it sometimes feels more like a PhD project in a
>combined major of history/anthropology/political science and
>comparative religion than a game, and it sometimes is hard to know
>enough about the difference between a trireme, a dhow, a junk and a
>galleon to do anything much convincing or reality based in ocean
>going campaigns. Speaking for myself, I am pretty much stuck with
>what I know from having seen several Sinbad movies, a slew of pirate
>movies with Errol Flynn et al, and the ocean battle in Ben Hur. Not
>exactly graduate seminar background. And then the world oceans in
>Glorantha just are not like the oceans that faced our best know
>bronze and early iron age analogs (Greeks, Egyptians, Phoneacians,
>Romas, Cathagenians etc.) No protected Middle Sea for Glorantha, but
>the coasts and then the vast expanse between continents or among the
>islands.
>
>So, hopefully with help, and not too mch reproof we can muddle along
>an create some mutually acceptable visions of the ocean going
>material cultures of Glorantha.

That exists in "Men of the Sea" which among other things explains the difference between the different ship types. The academic discussions are sparked off by suggestions that other types of ship should appear in Glorantha or that something in the book is inappropriate. You don't need a degree to join in, just reading up on the background and recognising that films are usually wrong.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/