Re: Rightarm Islands - a word about the ships

From: jorganos <joe_at_09gr0aUc_d-FC3Pvieb9H6y0vpH1iK_cSqMrgTQvI37RNfx_4FD8cMjPP5nQmqvc2DOvKZTL>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:03:10 -0000

>> In my game, the quintessential Artmali ship is sort of Polynesian:
>> "huge carved logs with sails and oars." [Revealed Mythologies p.37]
>> The voyaging canoe at <http://www.francispimmel.com/> seems
>> plausible (though of course it would be blue).

> The ships of the Sendereven are great catamarans with stone hulls.
> Are there any connections between the Artmail and the Sendereven?

Revealed Mythologies makes a possible connection (name similarities and blue skin) between the proto-Maslan colony in Duravan and the Artmali navies - as hostile slavers. The Maslans finally get saved by the Sendereven Great Outrigger.

The Artmali shipbuilding survives in Fonrit and does not use double-hulls for its warsails or merchant ships. (The RuneQuest stats for the Warsail surely would have mentioned that fact...)

Do we know the types of ships used by the Vadeli, by the way? I think they started with Dormal designs, but the story about the travellers in the ship rolling over indicates that they added some modifications.