Re: Bloodspillars

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_QVKLVZr1dmaFInUcT2OyshwLA50HIHEDxntuPQLyLogbOgrTyjN3x005NmL5F1nAvjsJVs->
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:49:17 -0700

YGWV valkoharja wrote:

> The Bloodspillers, if I understand the sources correctly, are the
> heroband of Jareel Razoress.

Yes and no. The Bloodspillars are the regiment of bodyguard for Jareel, membes of that military unit, of which she is a member. So in the way that a regiment is a hero band, yes.

But they are not her intimate companions, though undoubtedly they would like to be. But while her close group, her companions, are likely counted among the Bloodspillars, and she will pick her future companions from among those stalwarts who prove themselves; the Bloodspillars are not, specifically, her personal favorite hero band.

> Such followers of the heroine probably try to emulate the fighting
> style and magic of the heroine. All fine and good, but there are a few
> problems.

Maybe, and maybe not. The requirements for membership are not that they fight like her, but that they fight like hell and follow her orders.

> As far as I know we don't yet know what the source of Jareel's power
> is. Does she worship some lunar entity, or is she parhaps some sort of
> a Demigoddess, channeling power directly from the moon and manifesting
> a personal power.

This is not clear? She is an avatar of Sedenya. A manifestation of the Infinite Goddess.

> Either way, I seem to recall that one can't actually gain magic from
> emulating a heroine who hasn't ascended yet.

Correct, sort of. The rites for becoming a worshipped Hero actually require that a person has a power to share with followers, who worship her while she is living.

> So...
>
> a) What sort of power do the bloodspillers wield? (The Taraltaran
> scimitar wielding mystic path parhaps?)

The Bloodspillars are a highly magical band of women capable of the most ruthless and desperate combat, and following orders without hesitation or moral compunction.

> b) When did Jareel gain her following, and how many of them are there?

Though an avatar, she had to prove herself. She came to court with some devoted companions, and attracted others, who of course had to prove themselves before being admitted to her trusted in-group.

> When Jareel is young (like during the 1602 invasion of Sartar), is she
> already followed by a small military unit,

Yes, absolutely. She was followed by her companions, and also by the cadre of what would become a regiment of he army-the Bloodspillars.

>or is she more of a lone
> heroine?

There are no lone heroines.

Like, Harrek, I will detail as much as I can of her rise to power in the Great Argrath Campaign.

--Greg