Re:Various Orlanthi scripts

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_iV8wdc9VfOUky4Rmn0vRbSEWrF_GUywH--2FFmPv1D46JEKHZcPOD4sIqMVl7SvgebIA>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:46:08 -0000

> Also, from what non-heortling script were they borrowed? Given that
> Heortling is normally assumed to be a Celto-Germanic sort of tongue
> (with CVC and VC patterns, and vowels important), the above would be as
> ill-fitting as Linear B was to Mycynean Greek (which was clearly
> adapted from Linear A, the native Minoan script for Minoan tongue).

They were not borrowed from non-Heortling script. Lhankor Mhy developed both scripts and gave them to men during the age of the Vingkotlings. And both catscratching and dogscratching are NOT related to Dara Happan script.

> Or are Spirit Speech and GodSpeech entirely unrelated to Orlanthi
> dialects, and preserved in the cat scratchings, while the Talastari
> were given a more sensible script (based on the language requirements)
> by the Theyalan missionaries (ala St Kyril and Methodius)?

Spirit Speech, Storm Speech and God Speech are RQ3 rules constructs. Greg recently emphasized that they do not really exist in Glorantha. I do think that the Talastari were given their script by the Theyalans. BTW, Greg and I have done a fair amount of thinking about the Talastarings recently, and I hope to post some of that in the near future. Some very interesting stuff......

> Thank you for any illumination (in the non-bad sense, here).

Illumination isn't all bad! Hope this helps! And if not, let me know and I will try to make more sense....

Jeff