Re: Yanafal Tarnils & Humakt

From: donald_at_ed2wv0yqPsEJrLRNjgKlF9segmpw_GwLAbiXfIqnnJMOWJZC1mQkv_zz4AQv3EeiheHTI
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 13:46:40 GMT

In message <fgs3d3+pe66_at_eGroups.com> "Gerry Crowe" writes:
>> Well a deserter implies an oath breaker unless your Lunar army
>> doesn't expect officers to swear oaths on joining.
>
>It's not just officers who worship YT though is it? You would probably
>have to be initiated to advance up through the ranks, but presumably
>anyone who has any ambitions of advancement would enter the cult too.

You don't need to be YT to advance in the Lunar army. Most officers aren't. They follow either regimental deities or the war gods of their cultures (such as Kastok, Ingkot, Bisos, etc).

YT has skills and magic useful for officers so only the most ambitious of ordinary soldiers would join it. In most regiments doing so would be seen as getting above your position and a snub to the regimental god. In a really traditional unit like the stone phalanxes the officers would be promoted primarily on their standing in the regimental cult. Joining YT would be necessary only to ensure they would be put in charge of any mixed force their regiment was involved in.

It's possible that ordinary soldiers also swear oaths on joining although I think that depends on the regiment involved.

>And while you might swear oaths to your regiment upon joining, I'm
>assuming they wouldn't be the same oaths as those you swear to YT.

To a Humakti it doesn't matter - an oath is an oath. If the choice is death or oath-breaking they choose death. That's why they are very careful what oaths they swear.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/