Re: TaJers

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_6uQik2Yu-ug5aO34vfCtsesuJjOYC-ZQ-q8dbBsJ6J9rsbMLpG_896QfLtRkTXHXuXu>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 19:21:45 +1200

At 06:45 a.m. 20/05/2008, you wrote:

>Then what's the difference between "Travel" and "Journey"?
>Just a matter of nuiance in English?

In the good old days when the Normans were bringing the fruits of civilization to the slope-headed Anglo-saxon yokels, they brought along their legal phraseology with them. But here, they encountered a problem - namely making their yokels understand their flowery words. So in order to make themselves understood, they used couplets consisting of a norman french word plus its coarser english equivalent. And that is why the English Legal System and its successors are riddled with expressions such as "cease and desist", "aid and abet", "fit and proper" and so on.

Therefore to me, "Travel and Journeying" implies that Valare Addi is using a system of heroquesting which is known by different names in, say, Pelanda and Dara Happa.

--Peter Metcalfe