Re: Illumination and lies

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_ZJYt_tpSHws__7JCGdAJeILl6gK5WJsCDsH-8GEoisKwqfO0VKmxK_zBihnXWKp_ad4>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 23:06:22 +1200

At 09:42 a.m. 1/07/2008, you wrote:

>Can a Lhankor Mhy cultist join an Irippi Ontor temple pretending he has
>given up on LM and wants to join IO, and working as a spy for his LM temple
>instead?

Speaking strictly on the specific example rather than the case of illumination, this is something that was implied as being possible in Cults of Prax, namely the Cult of Lhankor Mhy in Pavis was split between the Old Guard, the Holy Country, the Sartarites and the Lunars. It's a bit muddled now that Irrippi Ontor is an immortal rather than a god among other factors.

I also note that worshipping Lhankor Mhy is not the same as joining the Storm Tribe. Lhankor was a son of Mostal and so has an existence outside the Storm Tribe. Ergo it should be possible to worship him without being an Orlanthi.

IMO a cryptic Irrippi Ontor initiate would not be able to join the worship of Lhankor Mhy at a clan level as a lawspeaker or whatever because that involves acceptance of Lhankor as part of the Storm Tribe. But if he were to join a Knowledge Temple at a Sartarite city in which Lhankor Mhy is worshipped in a more abstract fashion as knowledge personified then he might be able to hoodwink the local sages and use his position in disseminating Lunar propaganda.

As for the reverse case, I can't see a Sartarite grey Sage adopting the tactic although I could see a Holy Country Sage having the intellectual subtlety for doing the same thing.

--Peter Metcalfe