Re: Where does 'gyrda' come from?

From: ileskela <ileskela_at_dbAaYvXrjthnbR7ONEjCST6UIRbost0CcFK3lE4WG_5HHX7p07s_uBRAflV2QYZFJmM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 08:17:34 -0000

Like John, I think Jeff's categorical NO to 'gyrda', without any explanations, is a bit empty, as we already have the term printed and explained in 'Glorantha canon' (if you so like). On the other hand, using the term god-talker, for both male and female priests, is probably clearest. But even then the term could be given and explained, as in Thunder Rebels.

John Hughes wrote
> Same place as 'godar'. its an Icelandic term.

Thanks, John. :)

Gyrda, with an 'r', has a meaning of 'to gird oneself with, a belt or the like'.

But there is a word gydja, used in Edda and some sagas:

'fem. gyðja = goddess and priestess'
(Like goði is both god and priest)

If I understand Icelandic grammar, the pl. of 'gydja' should be 'gydju' or 'gydjur'.

My reference is 'An Iceland-English Dictionary' http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/germanic/oi_cleasbyvigfusson_about.html

If gydja is the origin, where does the 'r' come for? A mistake, or a way to make the word Gloranthan - not Norse but of the language spoken in e.g. Sartar?

-ile