Re: Where does 'gyrda' come from?

From: David Dunham <david_at_mWQ0non4RB2BcOPtHl3WbWZyOh3GyxmMne2rnAyKO51Y0Z-ywWfpp24eq3Fo58BDcerZIY>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 19:44:50 -0700

Roderick

>In the words of Nick Brookes, a naff retcon.

I don't agree, as nothing has changed. There still are female god-talkers.

But if you're trying to introduce people to Glorantha who haven't been playing since 2000, source materials are probably best off using as little jargon as they can. Pick the terms that really matter -- maybe "thane" since that's a status distinction we don't have in our cultures. We don't have god-talkers either, but a short phrase works well for that. It's like calling the quality metal "iron" instead of "ur-metal."

The new players have to learn "Orlanth" and "Ernalda" and "Humakt" to play Heortlings. But if they don't also need to learn Heortling, so much the better.

If you think your game is enhanced by sprinkling it with Heortling terms, keep using this one. And keep your ur-metal sword sharp.

--

David Dunham