Re: Dumb questions

From: Grimmund <grimmund_at_wDS2pXSHbFMy4eHV25LbCSgRK3Dk8DD-6pR6fyMcPUGT9-c712IY72WwSObGHRGhQj1>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 09:04:47 -0500

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 2:20 PM, markmohrfield <markmohrfield_at_-RPAcbyE8bKxiu9nm4RuogaV0geUo0cAtgSAVPxcR5J1wjNwYEYAL7CDl9GXROOygjdGAUietrjzJRJ0ghI.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

>> We know that PCs will eventually whine or heroquest until they >> invent horse collars. :-)

> Why? They are useful for neither killing things nor taking their
> stuff.:)

Increasing the pulling capacity of a horse by using a collar rather than a strangle harness means you can use the horse to haul a *lot* more stuff, and haul it a lot faster than oxen will. Also, horses have a longer work day than oxen, so you can travel, not just faster, but for more hours.

Horse collars would also enable "heavy" war chariots.

OTOH, you're maybe better off heroquesting for stirrups, which make cavalry a lot more effective.

Dan

--
"If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun."- Katharine Hepburn