Re: Lunarised Sartarites and Lunarised Tarshites

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_UIjWytR7SGfo9rMcH2sSkeG-tYlmi7z0n_sqW1tL9JcmgTSYEjn2kCrDLt-Lu>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 02:58:38 -0000

John:
> ... I am trying to
> work out exactly who the chieftain worships now. I sort of imagined
> Dorburdun - but Dorburdun doesn't have any leadership magic. Perhaps
> Melkolfus is getting by with Natha's socially-relevant Balancer feats?

If I recall, Doburdun was supposed to be central, alongside elements of the Rufus Scripts and Seven Mothers teachings.

As to the lack of leadership magic, this is difficult for me to comment upon. Orlanthi mythology has seen considerable development over the years, particularly with regard to ideas on chieftainship/kingship (Dar, Vingkot, etc.). Much of this has accompanied the publication of roleplaying games, wherein the systematic description/delineation of entities in terms of aspects and subcults has tended to resolve myth into fairly clear themes.

Contrastingly, we know very little of the myths of Doburdun. As presented, he tends to have an elemental focus--akin to Orlanth Thunderous, but lacking the correspondences of Orlantha Allfather. But my point is that I would be surprised if the myths of a god of this form and focus did not feature the expressions of fear, command, overlordship, respect and/or demonstrable power that can empower 'leadership'. I don't suggest that they would be as powerful or multivalent as those of Orlanth, but I do think that a god such as Doburdun is a more composite entity than might be supposed.

[Hey, he has Brooding and Booming Voice--that's all the leadership stuff I'd wish!]