Re: Lunar heroquests

From: Jeff <richaje_at_n5oB6bvBAmXfPbk6FNM7wmy2sKSXXj3IBy-FQsKf-GDIGdgamoNA4bqk6ysP2RgUqSp->
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 11:13:03 -0000

> Hmm, that raises a question:
> Does Sartar include any notes or rules on apotheosis for suitable powerful heroes, aligned and unaligned?

There is lots of material about Sartar (and a few other heroes) in the book (and in the Book of Heortling Mythology). However, I did not promulgate rules for apotheosis.

The Orlanthi worship plenty of heroes - kings, princes, very holy folk, and other great men and women. Sartar's apotheosis was easy to understand - he was brought directly to Orlanth's Hall by Orlanth's Liberating Bolt (a clear and obvious sign of his Hero status and the favor he enjoys with Orlanth). Plenty of other heroes have small cults - maybe associated with a single location, a single tribe, or even a single clan.

I don't think firm rules are needed to determine when someone becomes the focus of a hero cult (especially given the nature of HQ2). Rather, the Narrator should keep in mind that a hero cult requires worshippers who are willing to offer sacrifices to the hero and perform regular ceremonies where they contact him or her.

Jeff