Re: Lunar heroquests

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_glq2KexIqle0WNIxPKUzQziLKbxwZWn4cSVTXc_TEiIrphQKM6g64fNF2FsMcWF4k8>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 08:56:25 +1100

2009/12/2 Jeff richaje_at_bal8-W-nD6dNf5y4AkfHveQOYFtEn6K1ws1SYNlna22YtkNhuxzJtsQOSaLas4ZAfU56IDEwJMYoKA.yahoo.invalid

> I dig Hwarin as well (Hwarin and Hon-Eel are the most important Lunar
> heroines in Saird and the Lunar Provinces). However, Sartar is obviously
> just a barbarian king who is worshiped by a bunch of barbarian tribes, while
> Hwarin is the daughter of Moonson and the Conquerer of Saird.

It's very true, but I like to think there is room for a wide range of varying kinds of jingoism amongst Lunar adventurers. From: "These poor dumb barbarian bastards." to "Didn't our ancestors live like this once? Let's help these people out a bit...".

I expect that Hwarin had a big impact on the local Sylilian culture heroes (as new ones conformed to her model, and older ones were 'reimagined' in light of her deeds and Lunar theology). Rehabilitating Sartar as some kind of Lunar anticipation might be a project some Lunars would try... (That Liberating Bolt seems like barbarian-speak for Illumination and Sartar's manipulative skills and unexpected magic might suggest something other than gusty old Orlanth, etc, etc,)

Some shady Etyries or Irripi Ontor cult of spin-marketing mythologists may have to be involved...

--
John Machin