Re: Three-world model

From: julianlord <julian.lord_at_J4fXvRUllsx6Ae1Nberv92VxGHdCXKz2vb5Ce3uKSGin51ksfb4Gal8xrn_PuZhE>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 15:42:16 -0000

L C :

> But this discussion makes me wonder again - what defines the three
> worlds? Is it how your magic manifests? (Feats/Spirits/Spells) Is it
> some kind of "cosmic vibration frequency" thus making the three worlds
> different even though owners of runes exist in each. Is it a mode of
> worship (the infamous Sacrifice/Ecstatic/Veneration split that doesn't
> actually seem to apply in any way in the rules)? It seems many entities
> straddle the worlds. I remember being told on this forum that most
> people in Glorantha don't know of/think of the three world system as
> such, and I've also been told the opposite. Certainly the Mongoose stuff
> (some of it) has God Learners in-game voice not using the model.

The basic difference between essences, spirits, and gods is that they are "materially" different - they are not made of the same "stuff" that the others are made of. Typical Inner World beings and objects contain a mix of the three different types of "stuff".

The three basic methods of worship are, among other things, purification magics to gain greater personal/group identification with the "stuff", and consequently to rid oneself/-selves of the "other" kinds of stuff.

This is unlikely to be useful information for gaming by the way, for which : apologies... although Gloranthans with the appropriate magical senses *can* tell the difference between these different species of magic and otherwordly "stuff".

Julian Lord